Swami Vivekananda, the Indian legendary saint once rightfully said- “This is the gist of all worship-to be pure and to do good to others’’ which means every individual is socially responsible towards a better world. He was a social reformer who laid the foundation of Modern India through his teachings towards political awakening alongside intellectual and spiritual learnings. Under the guidance of Sri Ramakrishna Deva, he worked towards the upliftment of mankind. The teachings by this maleficent personality not only stands true during his generation but also lives up this present day in India. As far as social responsibility is concerned, he believed it as the essential aspect of living and his teaching preached that service to mankind is service to God. During his childhood, he was always charitable in nature. One such event in his childhood times when his family is fed up with his over charitable nature tried to lock him in the house to punish him, yet this did not stop him from helping others, he ended up giving items in the room he was locked through the window. This shows how much he valued being selfless and doing for others. Swami Vivekananda was such personality who dominated the public platform of India and US in the 19th century. He made his remarkable presence across the world with his addressing in the World Parliament of Religion held his Chicago. From politics to education, his learnings have perched its roots deep into it all. Today’s India tries to live up the greatness of his learnings and advice.
Let’s dig deep into teachings of this worldly identity to know his charisma which remains as part of modern India.
Teachings to propagate social responsibility!!
- He always believed in extending help to others. His saying states “If money held a man to do good to others, it is of some value but if not, it is a social evil and the sooner it is got rid the better it is”
- According to him, man is divine and service to mankind is service to God.
- Always rightfully said “This is the gist of all worship- to be pure and to do good to others”, this will help an individual to live rightfully.
- “So as long as the millions live in hunger and ignorance, I hold every man traitor who, having been educated at their expense, pays not the least head to them” is what he also preached. Always ensure to return a small amount what you take from the society.
- His teaching also included “If the poor cannot come to education, education must reach them, at the plough, in the bakery factory, elsewhere”
Alongside believing to empower the society with education, he always looked out for the downtrodden and untouchables which showcase his leaning towards the social responsibility which every individual should adopt for a better world.
Make a difference in the society by following the teachings of Swami Vivekananda!!